Keeping up with my Mini Greenhouse Part 2

Part #2
I took this photo to give you an idea of the unexpected challenges I had to overcome this winter.

This pot of lettuce was harvested from my garden the day after Christmas. We made a salad using some of the leftover turkey meat. 


Before I go any further I should point out that my selection of plants was not random. I choose spinach, carrots, onions, elephant garlic and lettuce because they hold up well in cool or cold weather.



 The second point I would like to make is that you should not wait until it's freezing cold before you plant your seeds. Everything in my winter garden was planted before the first forest.  In my area  (zone 6) that is usually the first week in October.







Another thing to keep in mind is the location of your winter greenhouse garden. Be sure to choose a spot where you get the maximum amount of sunlight.

One of the lessons I learned was to invest in a good thermometer. The smaller one on the left was a gift from my daughter and son-in-law. Notice the difference in the temperatures. I am so grateful to have this new tool because it not only gives you the current temp it also tells you how cold it was the night before and how hot it was. I received two the other is in my basement greenhouse.
In my next post, I will talk about what other equipment you will need. I will give you a hint, it won't break the bank.

Keeping up with my mini greenhouse part one

Please check out my YouTube Channel 



Comments