Gardening Tools and Equipment Think Outside the Pot




Think Outside the Pot

The owls are back, and the birds have already begun migrating north. This tells me one thing, spring is almost here. For many years I did not have a traditional garden. The only method available for me to grow anything was in pots, lots and lots of pots.


I only needed two tools back then a spade and a claw. Not much has changed over the last thirty some years but there is one noticeable difference, information.


If you have a computer or a cellphone (presumably you have internet) you can find the answers to just about any of your gardening questions.



What to plant, when to plant in your timezone, days to harvest, types of soil, good bugs, bad bugs types of fertilizers how to attract bees etc. 




Last year with the help of my nephew I add a raised bed to my container garden. Two years ago I added three fruit trees. 

About a year and a half ago my daughter gave me a handy gadget called a moisture meter. I use to stick my finger about 3 inches into the soil. If it was dry I knew it was time to water my plants. This is faster, easier and more accurate.



"Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year"



Each year I try and add a new piece of equipment to my growing gardening arsenal. With record-breaking heat, I decided to buy what is known as a shade cloth. They start at around ten bucks but I wanted something larger and more durable.
I decided on something called Afgrabic which is a 50% sunblock shade cloth. At 12X12 feet. It can be a little pricey but I was able to buy one for $19.99 which is about half of what most people pay. 



Tomato cages are without a doubt the most inexpensive piece of equipment you can add to your garden arsenal if you purchase them at the right time.  Last fall I bought three large cages for $1.00 a piece. They will last me for at least 3 growing seasons. 

Wheather you are using a few pots or expanding to a backyard garden the one thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't have to cost you a fortune. You can usually substitute tools or create what you need out of materials you have available. Some DIY projects turn out better than store bought and save you money.  




Comments