Stress-free Gardening Part #2 Being Frugal Doesn't Start in the Garden






If you follow this blog or any of my social media platforms you know that I am all about spending less and harvesting more when it comes to gardening. It is unrealistic to think that everyone has the time or space to do everything necessary to save all of the time. Last week I was asked a question about composting. The person asking the question lives in an apartment. It can be done but adjustments must be made.

This week I would like to talk about the best way to proceed if you don't have time to compost or build a water catchment system. The answer is simple you go out and buy compost or whatever nutrients your soil needs. But wait, it may not be as simple as you think. When you shop for food or clothes you look for the best bargains. The same rule applies but what if you could predict when gardening supplies would go on sale.



Memorial Day is observed on the last Monday in May every year. All of the major gardening retailers compete for your business during this time Taking a few minutes to examine their flyers or websites could save you big bucks. It may even be beneficial for you to shop at more that one store during the holiday sale.










Another thing to consider would be to pick up a few sale items in the fall. I have a bag of compost also a bag of organic soil and several bags of mulch.



These bags have been sitting in my garage since last fall. I didn't need it and probably won't use it this summer BUT the prices were too good to pass up. If I need the room I could always wrap it in plastic and set it outside or sell it during the summer for a small profit.


 Three years ago I was criticized online because of what I call my water catchment system. The fancy looking barrel above is sold by the city where I live. I comes with all the gizmos and will run you $80.00.

The blue barrel to right was given to me by my other son in law. The screen was repurposed from an old window and the cap on the downspout cost $3.73. The fancy barrel holds 55 gallons of water. My barrel holds 32 gallons of water. Besides the cost, the only difference is that I use a four-gallon bucket to get my water instead of a spout.  You can go fancy or you can go frugal. I think you know which side I come down on.



The white barrel use to contain pickles I picked it up at a hardware store for $19.00. My neighbor cut the top off for easy access. It holds 55 gallons. I use it for my overflow. This barrel is also large enough for me to lower my watering can into it which saves me time as well as money. In case you are counting this gives my nearly 90 gallons of water that God gives me for free.



In addition to my raised garden and my pot garden, I have three fruit trees and blueberry bushes that need watering. From early spring to late fall I catch and use at least 1000 gallons of water. This makes gardening easy on the wallet.

Next week will be the final post for this series.


Please click here to subscribe to my Gardening Channel. Thanks

Facebook 

Instagram  

Blog



Comments