Future Food Revisited

Future Food Revisited


What is future food?  Future food is a phrase I coined to describe fruits and vegetables that take years to grow but come back year after year. Blueberries, grapes, lemons, pears, and asparagus are examples of what I consider future food.

I purchased this apple tree four years ago. I have no idea of how old it was when I bought it but for the first time, I will actually have apples.

So Suzie has three kids a job and goes to night school. Planting a traditional backyard garden will probably be out of the question for someone who has such a hectic schedule but what if Suzie buys a couple of blueberry plants and a grapevine while she is at Walmart or Sams during her weekly shopping. It will take less than an hour to transfer and water the vines and bushes. For the rest of the summer, she simply has to water them every few days if there is no rain. Will she have berries and grapes this year? No, but depending on the type of vine or bush she probably will next year. Patience is the key.


I have two designated areas for my future fruit. Since the trees are stationary once the decision was made it was final. On the far side of the yard is where I keep my pots of grapes, blueberries, and the new addition to my ever-growing garden strawberries.


My Myer lemon tree has to be brought in each fall and my asparagus plants (I have a half dozen pots) are moved around each year depending on the layout of what else I am growing that year.

Like the blueberries, I have added a new plant each year. This year I also planted a few seeds. 



I am looking into why I was able to harvest figs last year yet this year the tree is dormant. My neighbor Betty told me that a friend of hers cut the branches back to start the growth process. Her info is always spot on so I will look into it.



This photo was taken today May 16th.  I'm ecstatic to see actual fruit on two of my trees. 

I saved the grapes for last, why you ask? Because they are the only future fruit that is giving me problems. Before I moved I had problems with birds who were determined to feast on my vines. The birds won. Two years ago I didn't get any grapes but this is last years photo (above) so obviously, I did.  We are halfway through the month of May and my grape vine looks deader than Elvis. So my assignment is to find out why I don't have any signs of life so far this year. At one point last winter 

the temps dropped to minus zero and my vine is in a pot so I will investigate and get back to everyone. 

Please check out my newest video Spring Greenhouse Transition and don't forget to subscribe.
Thanks


Comments

  1. Great tips, looking forward to the fruit your trees will produce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Betty and thanks for helping me out with my fig tree.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment