5 Things I've Learned Helping the Frugal Gardener

Hello!
My name is Lauren, and I am the Frugal Gardener's daughter.
I'm not living in the same state as my dad but my husband and I visit when we can and when we do I help him film his gardening videos.
I'm not at all sure as to who's idea this was! 
But it's some of the most fun I've had with my dad.

 1. Content is King

I've heard this expression before and when we started this endeavor 3 years ago we only had a few ideas here and there. But we didn't really start to gain more interest until we started posting more consistently and widened the array of vegetables he's been growing.
It's been great.

2. Patience

A gardener's greatest emotional tool is patience. It takes time for plants to grow! So plant a lot of things! Plant things you love, plant things you know other people will love.
Today is the best day to get started. Because 21 today's from now you could have grown something and eaten it for dinner. So start today.
My dad doesn't eat radishes but he grows them because I eat them. :)
3. Communication
You would think this was a given, but once or twice we've started to shoot and I've completely misunderstood where dad was going to move next or what he was planning on doing or discussing.
Now it's second nature for he and I to plot out our ideas.
We get so caught up walking around and checking out what he's growing it's a while before we start filming.

4. Expect Interruptions

This could possibly be filed under patience as well lol
There is typically a lot of activity at my parents' home and our neighbors are very friendly and chatty so when we're out and about filming curious people always stop to say hello ask how we're doing and what's going on in the garden.
It's so nice to have neighbors who are engaging with you and your interests. There are quite a few green thumbs in the area.

5. Have Fun

Once this stops being fun and starts being work, we've lost. Harvest videos are my favorite and it's even better when my cousin and his children come by to ask questions. It filled my heart with so my joy when my friend brought her children to a birthday party last year and her 7-year-old son knew all the vegetables in the garden.
She rolled her eyes and said, "yeah, he knows all the names of these vegetables because they're the ones he won't eat"
Hilarious.
You can't manufacture moments like those and every moment with my dad is a gift, I appreciate his successes as well as his failures because I learn every step of the way.  I'm 32 years old and I'm still learning from him.
Now. If I can get mom just as serious with her crocheting. Lol!

Comments