The Health Risks of Eating Store Brought White Potatoes

Why Grow Potatoes

Let's face it potatoes are cheap so why spend the time and effort to grow them especially in the dead of winter? I will give you two reasons. 1.They are free 2. They are much healthier. 

Every spring for the last 5 years I have grown potatoes. Run of the mill white potatoes, Yukon Golds and sweet potatoes mostly in containers. My gardening space is limited so last year's harvest was only around 20  pounds. Fortunately, my son-in-law's family grows potatoes which help me avoid buying potatoes from the store for most of the year. 



Not too long ago my family was invited to spend the day with the folks up in Braxton County. Everyone up there is awesome. You will never meet a friendlier, more down to earth group of people and I even learned a few new things about growing potatoes. 

Eat at Your Own Risk

I recently read an article titled The Health Risks of Eating Conventionally-Grown Potatoes by Max Goldberg. 

Quoting from the article.

 According to the USDA’s Pesticide Data Program, 35 different pesticides have been found on conventional potatoes. And out of these 35:


– 6 are known or probably carcinogens

– 12 are suspected hormone disruptors

– 7 are neurotoxins

– 6 are developmental or reproductive toxins


The chemical that is found on 76% of all conventional potatoes is chlorpropham, an herbicide that is used to stop the growth of weeds and to inhibit potato sprouting.

For the moment I have to accept the fact that eliminating all chemicals from my diet is not an option however over the years I have been slowly eliminating them when and where I can. 



There was a time when I would have thrown these away. Where some see garbage I now see an opportunity to grow free potatoes. 


February is Indoor Gardening Month. 



 This winter for the second time I will be growing potatoes indoors. I encourage you to try it but first a word of caution. There is a bit of a learning curve. Potatoes like it cool but not cold. The temperature should be about 65 to 75 degrees. The second issue could be light. As you can see I have been using grow lights. Potatoes need at least 6 hours of sun daily. 
The last issue at least with me is space for the potatoes to grow.  



If this looks wrong it's because it is. Trying to grow potatoes in a 12-inch window box is a waste of time. This is my starter pot. I use my garage to grow my winter potatoes, its not heated so I wanted to get these guys started in the house first. Next week I will transfer them over to a bin and use a grow light.  The rest is pretty straightforward. Keep them watered and warm. 

Next week I will make a video on growing potatoes indoors so be sure to sign up on Youtube.

Thanks









Comments