Blueberries in Pots




Most of us divide our goals in life into short-term, mid-term, and long-term. Why not do the same with gardening. Last year I added another fig tree and a peach tree to my the trees I already have. I'm probably not going to see any fruit for another three or four years but that's fine with me because I understand that this is a long-term gardening project.



I will have plenty of short-term vegetables to satisfy the needs of my green thumb this summer. This brings me to my mid-term gardening project, blueberries.  Last week I purchased one grapevine and two blueberry plants. 




Some women use blueberry for labor pains and as a tonic after miscarriage.
The dried fruit and leaves are used for diarrhea.
Tea made from the dried leaves is used for a sore throat and swelling (inflammation) of the mouth or the skin lining the throat.
Health providers have used blueberry juice as a contrast agent in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Contrast agents make it possible for radiologists to see and interpret the images.
Some people inhale the fumes of burning dried blueberry flowers for treatment of insanity.
x



Above is a shot of the plants I purchased. The shot on the right are the plants under my grow lights in the basement. 

These plants won't yield any berries for at least two years. Before you close your browser maybe you should take a minute to understand why I am willing to wait. 1.Price. The total for two plants was less than $11.00. My theory is that the prices are dropping because most gardeners don't have the patience to grow them. 
2.  Blueberry bushes last for years. 
              3. Most bushes average 5 to 7 pints per year
       4. Blueberry bushes are easy to maintain
5. You can keep them in containers

"You can expect to average around five to seven pints of fresh, sweet blueberries per plant each summer.
Blueberries are remarkably carefree. You aren't likely to encounter many insects or diseases, and if birds are a problem, just cover the plants with netting."


Web MD
Blueberry is a plant. People use the fruit and leaves to make medicine.
Be careful not to confuse blueberry with bilberry. Outside of the United States, the name “blueberry” may be used for a plant called “bilberry” in the U.S.
Blueberry is used for preventing cataracts and glaucoma and for treating ulcers,urinary tract infections (UTIs), multiple sclerosis (MS), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), colic, fever, varicose veins, and hemorrhoids. Blueberry is also used for improving circulation, and as a laxative.







Reference
http://www.nola.com/homegarden/index.ssf/2013/06/blueberries_grow_best_in_the_c.html
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1013-blueberry.aspx?activeingredientid=1013&activeingredientname=blueberry








Comments