A Rescue Back In Time

 



A Philadelphia Murder Mystery






 A Rescue Back in Time


Dateline

September 2010



Chris had more on his mind than the unseasonably warm weather in South Philly.  The tall sandy blonde real estate agent smiled as he passed a chain of butcher shops and rows of stands filled with an assortment of apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, and other produce on 9th Street.


This September morning, Chris was in a fantastic mood, but his day would change sooner than anyone could have expected.  Soon he would encounter a childhood friend that would force him into making a life-altering decision.     


Last night Chris and his buddy Tony drove down to Columbus Boulevard to watch the drag races.  His friend persuaded him to place a little wager. Tony sized up the two cars in the third race; he was confident he had a winner.  


“I bet you two tickets to the Sixers’ Boston game that the green Chevy wins.”


Chris shook his head as he walked down the street, remembering the expression on Tony’s face when the souped-up Mustang shot across the finish line first.  As Chris made his way past the sparse crowd of early shoppers, greengrocers, fishmongers, and shopkeepers, he crossed a street the size of a wide ally when he heard someone calling out to him. 


“Yo Christopher, over here.”   


A stocky, bearded man with salt and pepper hair motioned for him to come down the deserted little street.  It was Kenny, his old nemesis from his childhood. Kenny used to be the neighborhood bully, but that seemed like a lifetime ago to Chris, who was now an adult and no longer afraid of him.


“What’s up, Kenny?  I haven’t seen you around for a while.”  


As Chris moved closer, he recognized that Kenny looked different, older.  He wore a pair of old faded jeans and a blue plaid shirt. The Kenny Chris knew that he grew up with would have never been caught dead wearing something so plain, so ordinary.  Kenny stood next to a stack of old wooden crates. He motioned for Chris to follow him deeper into the little street. Chris became leery once he noticed that street dead-ended into a ten-foot brick wall.   


“Come over here, Chris; I just wanna talk to you for a minute, man.”


Chris stopped when he saw Kenny’s gray hair.  


“Hey man, aren’t you supposed to be in Holmesburg?  I heard they got you on a double homicide.”


Kenny shook his head, “That’s a long story, dude.  I didn’t do it. Look, Tony told me that you were coming this way today. I need a favor from you.”


Chris kept staring at the older man who stood before him; not knowing what to make of Kenny’s appearance, he let him talk.  When Kenny reached for a brown paper shopping bag behind the crates, Chris took a step back and waved him off.


“Look, Kenny, you know I’m not into that shady stuff, and besides, my wife’s having a baby.  I can’t afford to go to jail, especially now.”

Kenny smiled,


“Yeah, I know.  Look, Chris, I know that you are not going to believe this, but I came here from the future, thirty years in the future to be exact.”


 Chris laughed in Kenny’s face.  “Those drugs finally got to you, huh?”


Kenny ignored the wisecrack and continued.  “I got a kid, a son.  He’s nothing like me; he’s a good kid.  His name is Antonino. In a way, he sort of reminds me of you.  He’s getting married; well, at least he was going to before the explosion.”  


Kenny saw that Chris was not buying his story, but that didn’t stop him. “He went to the caterer's store on South Street a few days before the wedding.  According to the Fire Marshall, there was a gas line rupture; the whole place just blew up.  They said something about a faulty line.”


Chris was losing patience, “Look, man; I don’t know what the hell you are going on about.  Don’t forget,”


Chris pointed his finger at Kenny, “I know you.  You have always been a prankster.  I still remember when we were in the seventh grade, and you switched Mr. Harrison’s chocolate candy with a laxative.”


Kenny laughed, “Yeah, man, that was great.”  His expression turned serious again.  “That was then, come on Chris,”


His voice grew louder as he pointed to his head. “Look at my gray hair, look at this beard.  Look at the wrinkles on my face.”


He reached inside the brown paper bag and pulled out a beautiful purple and white crystal the size of a golf ball.  


“When I got out of prison, the only one waiting for me was my grandfather August. We haven’t spoken since I was nineteen. He told me that I was a worthless piece of crap. He went on to tell me how I was screwing up my life and that I would end up on a slab before I was fifty. Then things got interesting. He looked me in the eyes and said that he used to be just like me. August fiddled with his lime green pinky ring as he told me the story.”


“When your grandmother carried me, there was no movement. Some people said I would be stillborn, but she proved them wrong. I came out kicking and screaming on August first. Everyone called me the August miracle; some said I should not be here, that she made a deal with Satan. That changed her, made her angry, which made me angry. Right before she died, she seemed to find peace. She called me to her bedside and gave me this.”


Kenny placed the crystal in the palm of his hand and guided it towards Chris.

“Turns out that while my great-grandmother was explaining how it worked, she died. She never told my grandfather where she got it. All I know is that it’s only good for one round trip into the past or the future. That’s how I know about the explosion, and that’s how I could come back.  I need you to go back in time to stop the explosion. I can’t do it now; I tried. It’s a catering shop on South Street. Everybody I talked to thinks I’m crazy.”


Chris shook his head, “They’re not the only ones.  Can’t you get somebody else to do this?”


 Kenny shook his head, “No, not in this timeline; you’re the only one I know who’s still speaking to me. Sophia won’t even talk to me.”


Chris was about to walk away.  He was frustrated and just wanted the conversation to end.  


“You dress differently and act differently, but you’re still the same guy.  Why do you keep disrespecting your mom by calling her by her first name?”  


Chris frantically waved his hands, “Forget it.  Why don’t you tell your son before the explosion?”


Kenny pointed to the crystal, “I used my one trip; that's the way it works. You are asking me to wait thirty years, hoping I will still be around to tell him then.”

Chris waved him off and walked away. “This is crazy, man; you need to get yourself some help.”


Kenny was desperate; he needed to think fast. He called out to Chris, “Your wife has a girl; her name will be Cynthia.  Your daughter is marrying my son.”


Chris stopped dead in his tracks.  Kenny was sure that he had gotten Chris’ attention, he yelled down the narrow street.


“They are in love or will be. If you don’t stop this, it will break her heart.”


Chris walked back to where Kenny was standing.  “You’re a drug dealer, a hustler, a thief, a con man, and a liar.  A liar who will say anything to get what you want!”


Kenny stared Chris right in the eyes.  “So you finally grew a pair.  There was a time that I would have whipped your ass for talking to me like that. You’re right, I was all of those things, but I have changed.”


Kenny reached inside the brown shopping bag and pulled out a copy of the Philadelphia Inquirer.  The newspaper was smaller, and the paper they printed it on had a different texture to it. Kenny turned it to the obituary section.  He handed the paper to Chris, who read the date, September 27, 2040. Thirty years from now. After Chris read the article, he handed the paper back to Kenny.  His mood had turned somber.

In a quiet voice, he said, “What do you want me to do?”


Kenny pulled out a change of clothes and a smaller bag wrapped around it with a red rubber band.  Inside the bag were $30,000 in old bills and the property’s address Chris was to buy. Chris took one look at the money and backed off.


“Yo, where did you get this money? Did you steal it?”


Kenny chuckled, “Dude, I came from the future. I looked up the winning numbers before I came back. Look, the old Kenny would have been rich today, but I only won what was in that bag and, well, a little extra so that me and Sophia could live comfortably once she starts speaking to me again.  I had to guess what size clothes you wore. It looks like I came pretty close. Once you own the property, you can make sure that the catering service never gets built. Put a parking lot or something on it. I don’t care what you do as long as no gas lines are running into the building.”  


A reluctant Chris searched his mind for a better way.  If this worked, he could be stranded in South Philly in 1980; it was a frightening thought.  


“Hold it! Why don’t I just wait thirty years and tell them before he goes into the caterers?”


Kenny shook his head, “Do you want that hanging over your head for the next thirty years and besides, you won’t be there. In fact, you won’t make the wedding either.  I can’t tell you why; it might screw up the whole timeline thing. Didn’t you ever watch Star Trek?”


Chris accepted the money and old clothes.  He ducked behind an old smelly dumpster and changed into the outfit that would help him blend in with the others in the past.


“Here, whatever you do, don’t lose this; it might get cold.”  Kenny reached inside the shopping bag and handed Chris a jacket.  “In exactly two weeks, it will transport you back to this spot, but it will be as if you never left.”  


Chris seemed confused.  

“Okay, Chris, since you can’t go forward in the present, you will come back here at the same time you left.  Nobody will ever know that you were gone, except me. When I squeeze this crystal, the portal will open and send you to wherever I am thinking, but it has a limited range, so you will still be in South Philly. Oh, I almost forgot. ” He handed Chris a smaller version of the time travel ball. Anticipating Chris’s next question, Kenny pointed to the ball he had just given to Chris. “As far as I can tell, it’s some kind of tracker. This device will find you and bring you back.”


This heightened Chris’s anxiety. “How could you forget something like that?” Kenny motioned for him to calm down. Everything’s going to be okay. 


Kenny looked around to make sure that no one was looking.  He squeezed the crystal as hard as he could. Without warning, a circular eight-foot-high portal appeared. Swirling blue and white sparkling lights appeared in front of the wall.  A trembling Chris took a deep breath before slowly walking into the light. He took one look back; Kenny had a slight smirk on his face right before he vanished into the portal. In an instant, Chris was standing in a park.  The weather was cooler and the skies were overcast. Chris whispered, “Why would he send me to the park?”  


He shook his head, Kenny may have changed some of his ways but he was still the practical joker.  Is it possible? He thought. Can I really have gone thirty years into the past? Before he could get his bearings, four thugs walked up to him.  


“What park is this?” he asked.


The guys laughed; they all looked to be in their early twenties.  Their clothes looked different, but that was expected. One guy had a scar across his chin and a pack of Camels tucked inside the sleeve of his short-sleeved tee shirt.  He stepped right up to Chris’s face.


“You’re in League Island Park douche bag. This is our turf.”

Before Chris realized what was going on one guy snatched the bag out of his hand and the other three jumped him.  They beat and stomped him before taking the bag with the thirty G’s and walking off. Oh, this is just great, Chris thought to himself as he massaged his forehead.  I’m stuck here for two weeks with almost no money. The thieves were happy with the newfound wealth. They didn’t bother checking Chris’s pockets. He reached inside his pocket and thanked his Dad for teaching him never to carry all his money in his wallet.  Chris counted out ninety-seven dollars.


“How in the hell am I going to live off of $97?”


Chris gathered his things, put them back inside the more giant paper bag and began his trek towards the heart of South Philly.  If he really were back in time, it wouldn’t take long to find out. A few steps after leaving the park, Chris got his answer. What he saw was incredible.  All of the street signs were black and white. The police cars were red and the buses were green with PTC logo written on the side.  New, old model cars parked up and down the streets. 

It was still South Philly, all right but not the South Philadelphia he left; this is the Philly he knew.  By the time he reached Oregon Avenue, he was tired and his feet were hurting. Chris looked up and saw the Willie Mosconi Golden Cue sign.

Four hours and eight games later, Chris walked out of the pool hall two hundred and twenty-five dollars richer.  As he walked through a small park on 24th street, a man was sitting on a bench. His transistor radio blared out rock-and-roll music.


(Announcer)  You’re listening to WIBG Wibbage.  And now the number one hit on the Billboard charts this week is Philadelphia’s own Chubby Checker and The Twist.  


Chris paid little attention to the D.J. on the radio; If he had, he would have realized that he had a potentially more significant problem. Still disappointed that they had robbed him, there was no way for him to save Kenny’s son without that money.  He walked past the police station and considered filing a report but quickly dismissed the idea when he heard himself say, ‘hello officer, my name is Chris. I’m from the future. I came back in time to save my daughter’s marriage.’ Okay, new game plan, he thought.  I’ll just rent a room for two weeks and chill out until it’s time for me to go back home. My daughter will just have to deal with her loss and find someone else. It’s not like I have a choice. At least I tried.


Chris rented a room near 12th and Snyder, the neighborhood where he grew up.  Even though his surroundings looked different, Chris had a sense of ease and comfort.  The short, grey-haired landlady wearing a drab, blue-flowered housecoat smiled as she accepted Chris’ rent money.  Her name was Mrs. DiBona. As she counted the six five-dollar bills, her smile vanished faster than an ice cube in the Sahara Desert.


“Young man, I don’t know what you’re trying to pull, but if you are going to counterfeit money, don’t try to pass it off here.  The least you could do is try to make it look real.”


She shoved the money back into Chris’s hand and pointed to the door.  Realizing that he had given her bills from the future, Chris apologized.  He made up a story about a board game that he was using the money for then replaced the money he had brought with him from the future with his pool hall winnings.  By the time he climbed the stairs to the second-floor bedroom, Chris was exhausted.


“What a day,” he said out loud as he tossed the key onto the bed. Chris clicked on the lamp and flopped down on the single bed.  He didn’t mind that the bed was uncomfortable and that the springs squeaked every time he moved around on it. The boarding house was clean, but his room was small and the rose-patterned wallpaper took a while to get used to looking at. Chris examined his temporary digs, no phone, AC, TV, and even a radio. He thought to himself. That’s just great.


Bright and early the next day a rested Chris planned to take a walk now that his feet had stopped hurting. He decided to make his way downtown to the Gallery to buy a change of clothes and pick up a radio.  Chris thought the walk down Broad Street to Center City would be fun. After all, how many people get to relive history? The culture shock that awaited Chris was far more than he had bargained for.  The air smelled crisp, and the streets were cleaner. Chris stood on the corner of 8th and Market looking at Strawbridge and Clothier and Lit Brothers Department Store. A police officer saw the stunned look on his face and asked,


“Hey fellow, you, all right?  You need some help?”


Chris turned to the officer, “I…  I’m looking for a store to buy some clothes.”


The officer seemed surprised at Chris’s behavior, “you must be new here.”


He pointed with his nightstick,


“Well, there’s Wanamakers, up the street, Gimbels, or you can try Lit Brothers over there.”


Chris had the feeling as if he was in a foreign country and the officer was speaking in some strange language.

“Thanks, officer.”  


As he passed by a newspaper stand, Chris glimpsed the headlines on the Philadelphia Bulletin front page,


NIXON KENNEDY DEBATE TONIGHT


He nearly fainted on the spot when he read the date under the headlines.  Chris steadied himself by holding on to the lamppost. September 26, 1960.  Chris had traveled back fifty years in time, twenty more than he first believed.  Could Kenny be wrong about bringing me back? Will I end up in 1990, thirty years from now?  


This information shook Chris. He became oblivious to the crowds of downtown shoppers.  He wandered around until he found himself inside a Horn and Hardart’s Restaurant.  What is this place? I gotta get a hold of myself, he thought. Think positive Chris.


After figuring out how to order lunch, Chris brought a change of clothes to fit in with the period. He also got a small gray transistor radio before heading back to his room at the boarding house.  


For several days Chris had trouble sleeping. He hung around the neighborhood, trying to figure out what to do.  Each day he would read the Daily News to occupy his time.  At the cost of only fifteen cents, it was a bargain. Chris would get up before dawn and watch as the milk and bread man made their rounds delivering bottles of milk, orange juice and bread to the doorsteps or window ledges.  Most afternoons were spent standing near the entrance to the Broad Street Subway. Chris felt refreshed after catching the cool air that made its way up the stairs. He listened to the occasional roar of the trains underground as he watched Southern High students leaving school and making their way home or to part-time jobs.  It was a reminder of his timeline, a time that had not yet come, a time when he walked through those same doors.


Chris’s landlady Maria spent time each day tending to her small tomato garden in front of the house.  One day he overheard a conversation between Maria and her lady friend from across the street.

“You know, I dreamt about fish last night Anna.  Somebody must be pregnant.”


Anna stepped closer to Maria and pointed up the street.


“I bet it’s that tramp up the street. You need to play that number girl.  339 I hit it twice last year.” This tidbit of information would come in handy for Chris before it was time for him to leave 1960.

In the sixties, there was no such thing as the Pennsylvania Lottery. The street lottery was illegal, but it was the only way to place a bet and you didn’t even have to leave your home.  Each day the bookie made his rounds to take bets and pay off winners.


On Saturday morning, Chris treated himself; instead of skipping breakfast he picked up a copy of the Daily News and walked over to the Melrose Diner.  The mafia hit on mob boss Angelo Bruno six months earlier seemed to be a distant memory for the patrons of the famous dinner.


Everywhere he went, things looked newer.  Chris had to keep reminding himself that something he was accustomed to seeing were fifty years older.  It was business as usual inside the diner. Now that Labor Day was over and everyone was back from the shore, Saturday mornings were always busy.  Chris sat in the window booth observing people and cars pass by while he waited for his scrambled eggs, sausages, and toast. Elvis Presley It's Now or Never played in the background. A couple of young lovers sat two booths away from him.  Those two teenagers looked familiar, he thought. To keep himself from staring, Chris read the sports section. Ted Williams hits homer #521 off pitcher Jack Fisher. Phillie’s squeak by Cincinnati Reds 7-6.


Chris lowered the paper just enough to peek at the couple holding hands across the table; then it hit him.  The young couple were not strangers; they were his Mom and Dad. Chris was not used to seeing his dad with a crew cut and his Mom with the cat-eye glasses and ponytail; the only thing missing was the poodle skirt.  What had been a strange week for Chris had just gotten weird.


After breakfast, he followed his parents down the street to Telstar jewelers; they stopped to look at the wedding rings in the window.  Chris smiled, so this is how it all began. His smile vanished when his thoughts turned to his unborn daughter and how he failed at his mission of saving her fiancé Antonino.


Guilt crept it’s way back into Chris’ thoughts.  As he headed back up the street to his room, he heard a scream. He spun around and saw a young girl about sixteen stooping down to pick up her hoop earring in the middle of Snyder Avenue.  The petrified girl was in the direct path of a massive fast-moving truck. Instinctively Chris darted into the street, grabbed the girl and hurled the two out of danger. A crowd gathered around as Chris helped the bruised girl up and out of the street.  Chris’s parents were there as well. His future dad rushed to her side.


“Rita, are you alright?  That truck would have killed you if that man had not been here.”


The dark-haired girl was too frightened to speak.  She was shaking like a leaf. When she turned to the side, Chris recognized the tiny teardrop birthmark on the left side of her face.  No, it can’t be. Chris was stunned, first his parents, now this. There was no doubt about it. Rita, the girl he had just saved from certain death, would become Kenny’s Mom.


Chris spent most of the day wandering around the neighborhood.  If I never saved her Kenny would have never been born. If he had never been born, he would have never had a son that my daughter would fall in love with.  This is all my fault. All the pain Kenny caused and will continue to cause is because of what happened today. The pain my unborn daughter will experience will fall on my shoulders.


It was the first cool evening since Chris checked in as a boarder.  He reached for the jacket Kenny gave him and caught sight of something bulging on the inside pocket for the first time.  Chris pulled out several sheets of paper. The papers listed dates and scores from 1960 to 1980 of sports teams like the Phillies, Flyers, Eagles, and teams Chris never heard of like the Nationals. That Sunday, the Eagles weren’t flying so high after losing to the Cleveland Browns 41 to 24 at Franklin Field. Kenney even included boxing, horse races, and the Olympics.  Chris stared at the sheets of paper and smiled. That crafty bastard. He knew all the time that he was sending me back to the sixties. That’s why he had that smirk on his face as I stepped into the portal.


With a week to go, Chris had to get busy.  He approached the landlady, hoping she would put him in touch with the numbers runner to place bets.  Bookies are known on the street as runners. They were skeptical about doing business with strangers. Maria reluctantly introduced him to Mario, the street runner. He gave Chris the once over.


“How do I know that you ain’t one of them undercover coppers? Go down to the dry cleaners, ask for Rocco. A word of advice, he knows every cop in the neighborhood. If you are a cop you might walk in but you won’t be walking out.”


The tiny silver bell atop the front door tinkled when Chris entered the cleaners.  A rough-looking dude standing next to the cigarette machine seemed to have difficulty choosing what brand to buy.  After deciding on Chesterfields, Lucky Strike, Camel, Old Gold, he dropped two coins in the machine and yanked on the bottom lever. As he opened his pack of smokes, he turned to Chris. 


“Hey buddy, what can I do for you?” Before he could answer, two guys jumped out of a red Ford Falcon convertible that had just pulled up. Chris was already nervous when the men entered the cleaners, which were a front for the mob. He had a hard time keeping it together.  


“I, I’m here to see Rocco.”


The man with the cigarettes yelled to the men who had gone behind the counter and were headed to the back.


“Yo, tell August he got a visitor.”


Chris tried to correct the man.


“No, sorry, I’m here to see Rocco, not August.”


After lighting his cigarette and blowing a few circles in the air, the man smiled.


“Rocco ain’t here no more.”


Seconds later, a man appeared from behind a sea of freshly cleaned clothes wrapped in plastic hanging on racks. The instant Chris saw the lime green pinky ring, there was no doubt who he would deal with. Chris almost wet his pants when he stood face to face with Kenny’s grandfather August.  Kenny’s grandfather was a scary dude but the silver blood-stained switchblade August carried took Chris’s fear to a whole new level. August used a handkerchief to scrub the remaining stains of blood from his knife.


“Rocco had an unfortunate accident after he got caught booking bets. He’s being stitched up at Saint Agnes.”


August looked up and smiled when he saw Chris’s face.


“Hey, aren’t you the guy who saved Rita’s life?”  August laid the knife on the counter and turned to the cigarette-smoking man. 


“This guy’s alright with me. Take care of him.”


August shook Chris’s hand and patted him on the back.


From that day on Chris placed street bets twice a day, but he didn’t stop there.  He also placed bets at the racetrack and small bets all over South Philly making sure that he lost occasionally to avoid suspicion.  With only a day left he had raised enough money to buy the old building. On the last day of his trip back in time, Chris walked along the decaying buildings on South Street.  He thought about how cool it would have been to experience the hay days when famous singers filled the trendy nightclubs. A few spots remained open but the neighborhood comprised a few small shops, a few bars, and rows of dilapidated buildings.


With all the paperwork signed on the property the burden was finally lifted from Chris’s shoulders.   


That next morning Chris found a quiet vacant lot on a small street. He pulled the little ball out of his pocket before looking at his watch to make sure that he was on time. His heart was pounding. He closed his eyes and thought. Was this a one-way trip? Would he end up in another time other than his own? As he pondered these things, Chris could smell fish. He heard voices. Just as it was two weeks, earlier Chris was on Ninth Street to the narrow street where it all began.  And just as if it had never happened, he stood face to face with Kenny.


“Hey man, did you do it?  Did you buy the land?”


Chris was tired but elated to be home again.  “Yeah Kenny, it’s done.  Our children are safe. Thank God I made it back”


Kenny reached out his hand, “Thanks, man.  Look me up in thirty years and I’ll buy you a Black Cherry Wishniak.  That’s the best I can offer since I gave up the hard stuff.”


Chris looked down at Kenny’s outstretched hand.  


“Why didn’t you tell me you were sending me back to the sixties, and about your Mom?  Are you ever going to stop lying?”


Kenny pulled back his hand.  He looked hurt. “I didn’t lie to you….well maybe a little. The time portal is random; it goes back in ten-year increments, ten years, twenty, thirty… look, man, I took a guess.  Mrs. DiBona used to babysit me. She would always run around the neighborhood telling this weird story about a mysterious stranger that showed up one day with counterfeit money.  I thought maybe her hair net was too tight. She would tell me the same story over and over about the stranger who came out of nowhere and saved my Mother’s life then vanished.  It wasn’t until recently that I put the pieces together. Based on the description, I figured that it had to be you man. Not only did you save my son and my Mom, but you also saved me. You changed my life. Thank you.  Hey, I have to go now.” He took back the ball from Chris.


Kenny squeezed the crystal, and the portal opened again.  He took a few steps before looking back at Chris. “Oh, by the way, the land that you bought on South Street fifty years ago… it’s worth about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars now.  Get your daughter a nice wedding present when the time comes.”


Confused Chris walked closer to Kenny, “Wait a minute.  I thought you said that I would be dead.”


Kenny smiled and shook his head.  “I never said that you died; I said that you weren’t going to make the wedding.”  


Kenny paused, looked to the sky then back at Chris.  “I couldn’t tell you before because of the whole time-space continuum thing.  Well, I guess it’s okay to tell you now that you are back. You were in the hospital with a concussion and a fractured pelvis.  You almost got hit by a truck.”


Kenny smiled, “at the last second I pushed you out of the way.  Ironic, isn’t it? You save my Mom’s life and I save yours.  We’re even.”


Chris still had questions. "Where are you going? Didn’t you tell me that you could only use the crystal one time?”


“Okay Chris, I never lied to you. Let's just say I left a little something out.  Once someone else uses the crystal, it resets itself. I could not use it before you went back in time because I couldn’t convince anybody else to use it.  You can’t force someone to time travel against their will. Now that you are back I have another trip but I can only go forward just like from now on you can only go back in time.”


Kenny thanked Chris again and walked into the light.  When the flashing light was gone so was Kenny but Chris would never forget the memories of his time in the past.  He was a changed man. Chris and Kenny’s knowledge and shared secret journeys in time could never be revealed. Chris didn’t miss the itchy polyester shirts, but he missed the music and cars. Shortly after he returned from the past Chris took a trip to the Charleston Doo Wop and run antique car show in West Virginia.  His nostalgic journey was complete when he spotted a red Ford Falcon convertible.




The End


Short stories set in Philadelphia








The Deadly Gamble - Death on the Delaware -The Deadly Trio












Comments