Get Ready for Spring




Say goodbye to winter. I know what you're thinking. Valentine's day was just a few days ago, it's still winter and Phil saw his shadow which means six more weeks of winter. Okay, true, true and probably not true. I just finished reading Top 10 Long-awaited Signs of Spring, no, Punxsutawney Phil wasn't on the list. Do you wanna know what else wasn't on the list? Sales! My blog, Facebook and Youtube channel are all about saving money when you grow your food.

While I was out shopping for a Vallentine gift I decided to do a little multitasking. Hey, don't judge, anyway Walmart already has garden vegetable bulbs out and on sale. As you can see from the photo above I scored onions, potatoes, Asparagus and Strawberries for a total of $15.00. So right about now all of you procrastinators are reaching for that mouse but wait. 

Shopping for your spring garden is not just about saving a few dollars it's about variety.  Selection is always better BEFORE the start of the season because the world is full of procrastinators. When the demand goes up so do the prices and the variety goes down. This is also an opportunity to plant something different. I have already given away a few of my onion starters. I don't need to plant 30 onions. Try going half on a few of the $3.00 bags. I bought 2 bags of strawberries but if you purchased four bags (one of each) your cost would only be $6.00. 



Last month Dollar General put up their seed display two days after the new year. I know from experience that most of those seed packs were gone within a few weeks. This is why I purchase what I need ( seal them in sandwich bags) and put the packs into the deep freezer. The best part is that I won't need everything out of every package I purchase so I get to share with my friends and relatives. Here's one final point.

Strawberries are easy to grow. You can spend $3.00 and plant your own in the spring or you can buy them from the store, you know the ones they spray with all kinds of stuff that I can't pronounce.


Someone once told me "You gotta die from something" yep that's true but at least for me, it won't be from sticker shock at the supermarket.



Please subscribe to my Gardening Channel

The Frugal Gardener - Gardening on a Budget





Comments