Final Winter Greenhouse Post



The worst is over.  With a few adjustments, my mini greenhouse plants survived minus 2 degrees, well most of them anyway.  I was asked why I posted this photo of my sad looking rainbow carrot harvest. For as long as I can remember I have encouraged friends and family to grow their own vegetables.

As much as I would have preferred my carrots to have come out like the Photo above the reality is that we don't always get what we want. It is important for me to convey that message to every new gardener. No matter how experienced you are there will be times when your harvest will not meet your expectations. In this case, the soil did not have enough nutrients or the ground got too cold for the carrots to do well. On the positive side, the greenhouse has provided a decent harvest of lettuce and spinach. Not shown are the onions and elephant garlic which also have done okay. They were potted so I moved them to my indoor garden during the stretch of brutal weather.
Instagram  

If you are interested in constructing your own mini greenhouse using the same materials I did here is what you will need.

Three sheets of polycarbonate for the roof. Each sheet is 2X6'. 

5.5 Mil Greenhouse Clear Plastic Tough Film Polyethylene Covering for Grow Tunnel and Garden Hoop 12x20ft. A heat lamp with clamp.


  It is very important that you have an accurate thermometer  



Winter gardening can be changeling especially when the temperatures are below zero but the rewards are worth it. 

Spring is just around the corner.

Please take a minute to visit my gardening channel on YouTube


Comments