Gardening Buddies




Gardening Buddies




Gardening is not considered a team activity but it helps to communicate with people who share the 
same interest when it comes to growing vegetables.

1. I enjoy sharing gardening tips in an informal setting as if we were chatting over the backyard fence.
There are no meetings, no dues not even a secret handshake just neighbors exchanging stories 
about what works and what doesn't. The good the bad and the occasional unsolved garden mystery.

2. Another thing I like is how generous the gardeners I associate with are. When there is an abundant harvest of a particular vegetable or fruit we sometimes share what we don’t use for our families. Last summer and fall we shared squash, tomatoes, onions, radish, black walnuts, eggplant, butternut squash, spinach, lemons, cantaloupe and a few other veggies that I can’t remember at the moment.





3. The free food is great but I’m in it for the knowledge. One of my gardening buddies has been
planting since before I was born. She plants all types of vegetables but her specialty seems to be 
exotic plants and citrus. You have to be good in order to grow lemons in your garage in the dead of 
winter. She also grows dragon fruit and a flower that only blooms at night called Christ in the Manager.


My neighbor up the street is as close to being a horticulturist as anyone I know. She not only grows 
her own vegetables she know the names of flowers and just about every tree in the neighborhood. 
She and her husband are also crafty as in building gardening equipment. Last summer instead of 
buying a compost bin she decided to build her own. They also built the greenhouse that I used to 
grow lettuce, spinach, garlic, cabbage, and onions last winter.




4. In the spring at the beginning of the growing season, I usually end up with too many seeds. In the 
fall at the end of the season, I try and harvest seeds for next springs planting. Again, I end up with 
more seeds than I need to store. This presents me with an opportunity to share. Now I must admit 
that my gardening buddies don’t always grow from seed but my daughter and nephew appreciate 
the little baggies ready to go into the freezer until next spring.


If you are new to gardening or want to join a group I have posted a link at the bottom this blog 
where you can find a local group to contact.


http://www.gardenclub.org/clubs/state-garden-clubs.aspx





Comments