Why I Use Pots to Grow my Vegetables



Today is May 10th. The current temperature is 59 degrees. This has been the warmest day in nearly a week. Mother nature is unpredictable. The checkout lady at the local Walmart says "I always plant after April 15th" Okay, sounds great but two nights ago the temperature went down to thirty eight degrees. What's a gardener to do?


Well you can cover your plants with plastic which will add a few degrees of protection but what about young, tender seedlings? Well, the solution is in the title of this blog, use pots. Pots are portable. Yes it can be a pain in the butt but for me it's worth it.

It took less than 5 minutes to move these indoors last evening. If you live in my zone and planted your seeds directly in the ground chances are that you will have to replant next week. This eats up time and money not to mention the fact that you are now set back a full two weeks out of the growing season.






If you're not up for lugging pots around there is an alternative. The photos above are of my makeshift hot house. As you know I am all about gardening on the cheap. What you are looking at is a roll of plastic, 6 milk crates, one wooden pallet, a few boards, a couple of bungee cords and a thermometer. The sheet of plastic cost about $4.00 everything else was gathered from around the house and re purposed. I set this up in the fall to extend my growing season. I also use it in the spring to protect my young plants from those frigid nights. 

Most summer vegetables take an average of three months to grow. By using these methods I usually get a double harvest, one in mid summer the second in late fall. 


check out and subscribe to our new channel 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNydJ4taW7EKc9_xNB9Lq5g


Please subscribe to my gardening channel. Thank you


#backyardgarden #homegardering #weekendgardener #homesteading#amateur #tomatoes #otg #shtf #potgarden

Comments