Three Months Later What Will I Plant Next?







Time for new additions to my Endless Summer Greenhouse Garden






We are about three months away from our transition from winter gardening into our spring and summer planting. Two weeks ago I harvest spinach and lettuce. It was just enough for two salads but since more is on the way I was satisfied with what I had.


                                                                  Spinach before the first harvest.

Yesterday was another first of the season. I gave my daughter and son-in-law the first cone cabbage from my Endless Summer mini greenhouse garden. If you read my previous blog you know that we have experienced a few brutally cold nights. This winter has been anything but predictable I am not surprised that all this week temperatures will be above normal.  In fact this Wednesday the meteorologist is predicting that we will hit 70 degrees which makes this the perfect time to make the transition in my greenhouse.



This area will be used for more lettuce and spinach.






This is how the left side of my winter garden looks in the second week of February. I planted, watered and covered the new area so that the ground would be warm enough for the seeds to germinate. As back up I will plant the same type of seeds in my nursery in case these do not germinate or if I have bald spots I can fill them in.





I just received my packet of Red Cabbage Seeds.  This will be my first time growing red cabbage so I am excited, it will add a pop of color to the garden.



The right side of the greenhouse is filled with Brussel sprouts, lettuce, and cone cabbage. Once that has been harvested I will plant red cabbage. I haven't decided on what to do with the garden once everything on the left side has been picked around early May. I am leaning towards dumping my compost bins in that area like I did last year. The cover and heat helped me to finish off getting the compost to where it needed to be BUT composting in a greenhouse can be dangerous. When I get direct sun temperatures inside my little greenhouse have reached over 130 degrees if I don't vent it. I will have to keep an eye on my greenhouse during the day because the compost can combust and start a fire. Yes, spontaneous combustion is rare in composting especially if you keep it moist but it has happened on a few occasions so stay tuned.



Why now is a good time to buy your vegetable seeds

Have you purchased seeds for your spring planting? If not you should read this post.


Check out the Frugal Gardener on social media.
http://thefrugalgarden.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/Gardening-on-a-...
Twitter: @frugalgardeners http://twitter.com/frugalgardeners
Instagram: @frugalgardener
http://instagram.com/frugalgardener
Blog: http://thefrugalgarden.blogspot.com


Comments