Skip to main content

Getting Ready for Spring














Spring is just two weeks away. Every year I have the same problem with new gardeners or those who use to garden and want to jump back in. Procrastination! Practically everyone I know works full time, his children or both. You would probably have better luck trying to get them to give you a kidney then getting them to start gardening in the middle of March. "It's too cold, they say. It's too soon, I'm too busy. I will start next week. I get it, I really do BUT here's the thing. The more you do now the less you will have to do later.

                       If you have a busy schedule spring gardening should be incremental.  




I purchase most of my seeds in January.



In mid-March, I began my starter pots. You don't need a lot maybe 3 or 4.

Late April to early May (depending on where you live) move your plants outdoors.



Don't be overly ambitious. Some home gardeners go crazy and plant a large garden that they won't have time to care for later. Let's say you plant this huge awesome garden then July rolls around, its 90 degrees. Fortunately, I have the luxury of watering my garden in the morning or evening but if you don't the odds of you getting out there in the middle of the day to tend to your garden are slim not to mention that watering in the heat of the day is not a good idea. So what happens, your garden dies.



Choose fast growing easy plants to grow.

Some string beans go in as little as 50 days. Radishes take only two to three weeks.

Choose plants that are easy to care for.



Another advantage of planting in late March is you will be able to have a second planting. Most summer vegetables take about 90 days. If you plant in mid to late March and harvest in late June there will still be time for you to plant some leafy greens like cabbage, lettuce, I have added a list of greens to plant in July or August. Why leafy greens? Most leafy greens are cold weather tolerant, some can even stand a light frost.

In closing a little prep now can set you up for an easy gardening season this summer.  


The 10 Healthiest Leafy Green Vegetables

1. Kale
2. Microgreens
3. Collard Greens
4. Spinach
5. Cabbage
6. Beet Greens
7. Watercress
8. Romaine Lettuce
9. Swiss Chard
10. Arugula












Comments