My Vegetable Garden Plans - Spring 2019

My Vegetable Garden Plans - Spring 2019













Each spring I divide what I want to plant into categories which I will list later in the post.



Every great garden begins with great soil. I did not take proper care of my compost over the winter so I had
to step up my game. In early February I began *aerating my compost. I also paid closer attention to the moisture content. This shot was taken the first week in March. It doesn't look like much but there are approximately 100 pounds here. By early May it should be ready to go.

If you don't have homemade compost you may have to buy nutrients to amend your soil. Test your soil if you are not sure. Prices for test kits have really come down in the past few years. You can buy compost or find the items you need at Lowes, Hope Depot or on Amazon. 





Last year I started a new category called The Frugal Gardener's Chopped Inspired Garden. The results were mediocre because I didn't plant until late June. This year I intend to get an early start by using starter pots.




I try and cram as much in my garden space as possible so getting an early start helps. This is one of three pots of white potatoes I started in my indoor nursery a few weeks ago. They take three to four months to grow so by late May I will harvest my potatoes which will free up 3 pots.

I am excited about building my first stand-alone vertical garden. I haven't decided what I am going to plant yet but I am leaning towards bush beans, cucumbers or tomatoes. I need to do more research before making my final decision.
 About a year ago I did a blog titled Future Gardening. In it, I talked about planting bushes such as blueberries and grape vines. I also grew asparagus. I love this addition to my garden because these fruits and vegetables are perennials. Each year I try and add one or two new bushes or vines during my spring planting. I lost a blueberry bush two winters ago when the temperature dropped to minus two degrees. My blueberries are in pots which don't fare well when the temperature drops that low. 

Part two will be posted in a few days

Check out the Frugal Gardener on social media.
http://thefrugalgarden.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://m.facebook.com/Gardening-on-a-...
Twitter: @frugalgardeners http://twitter.com/frugalgardeners
Instagram: @frugalgardener
http://instagram.com/frugalgardener
Blog: http://thefrugalgarden.blogspot.com

*Aeration is the process by which air is circulated through, mixed with or dissolved in a liquid or substance.

Comments