Earth Day Everyday










I find myself starting to question the title Earth Day. Yes it brings attention to what we are doing to our planet and some of the special programs are good but what happens on the day AFTER Earth Day? We still have to live on this planet. I am not one of those guys who wants to outlaw gas-powered cars but yes there is so much we can do to cut down on waste and what we send to landfills. I am not here to browbeat gardeners into conserving or recycling my goal is to offer ideas to those who are interested in doing something about preserving the resources on earth.

The purpose of today's blog is to focus on what we as gardeners can do to help.



One of my favorite things is composting. Gardeners who compost save money while throwing out less trash.





I hate throwing food away especially potatoes 
Give the gift of seeds. You don't have to buy brand name seeds to help someone get started with their garden. I have found seeds (especially in the fall ) for as low as ten cents a pack. 

 

One of my favorite ways of helping the earth is using what is known as gray water. These are my two largest containers. I have a few smaller containers that gives me the capacity to catch and store 115 gallons of water. I use 100% of this water for my vegetable garden and fruit trees which require about one hundred gallons of water on an average week. 




So maybe you're thinking water catchment is old news but have you considered using your cooking water for your plants. During the summer months (because it's warm) I use the water from cooking vegetables such as potatoes and corn to water my plants. Why, because they are full of free nutrients. Of course, you need to let it cool first.



Leftover coffee, once it cools, goes right into my tomato plants. These are just a few suggestions of what you can do to cut down on waste.

If a handful of people use these tips it won't make much of a difference to the planet in general but if a hundred gardeners spread the word to another 100 gardeners and they spread the word eventually there will be hundreds of thousands of gardeners around the globe using this gray water and yes, that will make a difference.





Comments