How I Grow More Vegetables Using Less Space

Grow more with less space in your summer garden














For years the only way I could grow anything was in pots or containers. I now have space to plant in the ground but it is limited so in order to get the most out of the spring and summer growing season I make sure to grow a few vegetables that have a quick turnaround time. Turnaround time is the number of days from planting to harvest. One of my favorite vegetables to grow is spinach.




Spinach does not do well under the blazing summer sun so I tend to plant it in early spring. In roughly a month you can harvest your spinach and use the pot to grow something else like radishes.


Now I must confess that I am not a fan of radish but since my daughter is I grow it for her. Under the right conditions, it takes less time to grow radish than spinach. It usually takes about 3 weeks.







Bush beans are surprisingly easy to grow. They only need about six hours of sunlight and you don't have to do a ton of prep to the soil. Last summer I harvested beans throughout the summer. It took about 50 days before I was able to begin harvesting them.











This summer I plan on planting triple the amount I plant so that I can dehydrate or freeze the ones we don't eat right from the garden.





Cucumbers and baby carrots take about two months.






Many backyard gardeners have a habit of growing the same plants every year. Tomatoes are by far the most popular amongst the people I know who have gardens. I have room to grow a wider variety of fruits and vegetables now so I have the luxury yes luxury of growing more tomatoes. The drawback is that tomatoes take more time usually three months.




I almost forgot to add summer squash to the list of fast growers. It is a family favorite but there is one drawback. The leaves are huge so you need large pots if you want to be successful.



There is another way to get more from your garden that is by starting your seedlings indoors or buying starter plants. I made this starter pot by cutting the top off of a milk carton and punching a hole in the bottom for drainage.

By choosing these quick growing plants you can increase your summer yields or a variety of what you grow.


We are about to kick off our new summer series of videos called The Frugal Gardener Back to Basics.



We are also bringing back The Frugal Gardener Grows Chopped Inspired Vegetables.



Please subscribe to my channel and follow my new series throughout the summer.


Thank you









Comments