Tomato Growing Challenge



The 2019 Tomato Grow-Off Challenge 


Well, friends, I have officially entered my first tomato growing contest. Why is this news? Well if you are a follower of my blog, Youtube channel or any of my social media pages you know that I rarely grow tomatoes. My good friend Betty is the local tomato plant go to person.



Here is my entry, it is a beefsteak tomato plant. How do I know? Well, it says so on the packet, just kidding.

Betty prefers Jet Stars. Since deciding to enter the contest I figured I needed to brush up on growing them. To my surprise, a lot has changed in the past 30 years of tomato growing. For one the varieties are enough to make your head spin. Beefsteak, Super Sonic, Brandywine, Cherry tomatoes, Roma, Cherokee the list, as they say, is endless. The one that jumped out at me was the Hillbilly. One day I will have to try growing that one.


Back to the contest. I got a late start. Here is a shot of my pitiful entry. The contest is for fun, there is no money involved. I follow Cali Kim on her Youtube, that's how I found out about the contest. Last year she threw two whole fish into the soil where she grew her tomatoes for the contest. Her videos are awesome. She does a great job of explaining things. Adding the fish was a bold move and I admire her for taking a chance like that. Gardening should be fun.

This year they have added a second tier where anyone can enter so I decided to take the plunge.




CaliKim

So far the biggest adjustment for me has been the nutrients. These guys are serious, they add a LOT of stuff to their soil. That doesn't exactly meld with my frugal theme so for the changelge, I had to make some exceptions. I have employed the everything but the kitchen sink strategy lol. I have decided to document the entire venture on my channel.

The Frugal Gardener's YouTube Channel


The first video of me planting the starter and what I added to the soil will be up in a couple of days. If you would like to follow along with me this spring and summer (the contest last 100 days) please click the link above and subscribe to my channel.

#tomatogrowoff2019


Thanks







Comments