Winter Garden Update - Endless Summer Series


Things are shaping up. The little white box sitting on the ledge is my computerized thermometer. The weather station that sits on my desk not only tells me the current temperature it also tells me how cold it was the night before.  No, it's not frugal but my son knows that I like gadgets almost as much as gardening so he brought as my birthday gift. The less expensive models start as low as $19.99 

The silver thing on the top right is my heat lamp. I rarely use it but it there as my insurance policy.  A few times during the winter the temps drop to below zero. 

The little black box in the bottom right-hand corner is my timer.  I live in zone 6B, when I know we are going to drop into the teens I set the timer. I don't leave the heat lamp on all night, there is no need to. I usually set to come on around 11:00 and turn off around 7 am which is around the time it gets light outside. 

Not shown in this photo are my black water jugs. The purpose of the jugs is to provide radiant heat. During the day the jugs absorb the heat from the sun and release it during the night. The containers are old tea jugs that I painted black. The spray can cost me about $2.00. 


It's almost moving day. As usual, I am a little late in getting my starters inside. As you can tell from the condensation everything inside my mini greenhouse is nice and toasty This will be my first winter growing carrots inside the greenhouse. There is an apron, the space in front of the raised garden but still inside the greenhouse. That will be their home when it gets cold. They should be ready for harvest around Christmas. 

Next weeks post
See what I am growing in this garden and my other winter garden spaces. Subscribe to my Endless Summer Series to keep up with what I grow and how things are going. 





 

Comments