This Almost Never Happens


It's fall, to be precise it is October 7th. I am in the process of making a how-to video on protecting your plants from frost but wait. There's just one problem. Where is the frost? I live in zone 6B. Yes, the weather is somewhat unpredictable but next week is the mid October. Halloween will be here soon and the weather ( especially the nights) are still warm.  



Don't get me wrong, if you are a person who gardens year-round this is a blessing. This kind of weather gives me more time to finish what I started growing in late summer. Everything is not all roses, rainbows and lollipops. 




Check out these temperatures. The night temps are more like late August then October. 



So here is the problem. I have dosens of starters. I stagger my starters so some are older and larger than others. The older ones should have been transferred a few weeks ago. They have outgrown their containers and are becoming rootbound. 

Above is a recent photo of my squash bed. It has produced so much squash this season that for the first time I am going to freeze some.  To the left are tomatoes, yes tomatoes in October. I do have a bed and a few containers that I are available and that I have begun to use. 


Here are four cabbabe starters. I didn't fill the back of the bed because I planted seeds so that I could have a second harvest a month or so later. 

Here are my most recent starters. The root area is small and does not leave much time for cabbage starters to remain in this egg carton. Pots will be my back up plan. I will transfer some of the staters to the pots for the next couple of weeks then when the space becomes available I will move them to their winter home. It's double work but in the end it will be worth it. 


Checkout my fall garden tour and susbribe to my Youtube Channel. 

Thanks








Comments