My 3 Favorite Things about the Holidays



I love the holidays, not as much as I used to but there are still three things that I look forward to during those times between Thanksgiving and New Year. 

1. Family  

It seems as though the only time folks get together these days is for weddings, funerals and holidays. Sometimes you get to see people you haven't seen in years. 


2. Food  

For some reason whenever people get together in large groups there is always food.  The most obvious being cookouts but also parties and after church. But what happens after all that food is prepared? Don't get me started about how much food is wasted in America. In today's blog, I want to focus on garbage. 


3. Scraps 

Yes, the sweet potato skins, celery stalks, eggshells, lemon peels, onion skins, garlic stems and just about everything else one discards after preparing a big meal. 


Gardeners with small families or who do not cook much have a legitimate reason for not composting or so it seems.  It would take them months or even longer to acquire enough scraps to go with the leaves and grass needed to make good compost. 


I start two compost bins a year, one on January 1st and the second on July 1st. I use what I refer to as a holding can so that when the end of the year rolls around and I stop adding to my current bin I can switch without having to throw anything away. 



The last three holidays of the year are 5 weeks apart which is great. If you do not have enough compost material those holiday meal scraps will help round out what you need in your bin. So even if you don't have a large family you can bag up the scraps from your in-law's or sibling's holiday dinner and put them to good use. 

Bon appetite!


The Frugal Gardener on Youtube

Comments