Your Very Own Salad Bar

 


This is what I am growing in my hydroponics garden. It takes up the corner of my breakfast room table. It is actually the Aerogarden I received as a gift from my son almost two years ago combined with three homemade hydroponic systems I built myself. To save money I use the same grow light from the Aerograden. 

I have a second set-up in another room. This is my 2nd year using my DIY system. This year my goal is to be able to create a simple salad directly from the table. I am growing Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and spinach. The salad greens pods came from Aerogarden company everything else was started from seed by me. 



Pros and Cons

Cons 
The container in the foreground is collard greens, one of the back contains purple cabbabe. In order to grow enough plants to make several salads I will need to grow exclusive greens and tomatoes for salads. 

Cons
I have to be mindful of when I plant. I started the tomatoes about two weeks later than everything else which means I had to plant more spinach and lettuce ( in containers not shown) so that I can harvest everything when needed.

Cons
Set-up cost
*For the initial set up you will need basic supplies as if you were setting up a fish tank. Pump, tubing, air stone (optional) net pods and 
Air pump $20.00 Net pods (50) $12.00 Starter plugs $19.00 (55) Tubing $3.00 So about $55.00 dollars if you go the bulk route. 




Pros
Nothing beats a fresh salad. It doesn't get any fresher than fresh picked right from your table. 

Pros
Even if you don't have room for a garden you can grow a tiny garden in your home.  

Pros
Hydroponic garden use 85% less water than a traditional garden

Pros
Many people do not like gardening indoor because of the bugs it attracts. No dirt equals no bugs. 

Pros
Miminium Care
I only check the water level once a week usually on Sundays and add plant food twice a month. 

One of the best things about using this system is that the only thing I had to buy after my initial purchases was plant food. Buying in bulk will save you money but if you just want to experiment you may want to purchase smaller quantities. 



I am in the process of creating a video on how to build your very own hydroponic system. I will post it to my Youtube channel in the very near future. 






Comments