How Cold is Too Cold Part 2

 


 

All temperatures are in Fahrenheit


Today I will focus on the cold-hardy crops that I am growing this winter beginning with carrots. The tops of carrots can survive down to 18 degrees. I have had a few winters where the temperatures have gone down to as low at ten for brief periods and my carrots survived. As I mention in the previous blog as long as the ground does not freeze the temperatures can drop even more.



I strongly recommend that you cover your winter garden when the temperatures drop below freezing. Everything that I am covering in this post will survive a light frost however below freezing temperatures will probably cause leaf damage. 


Broccoli and cabbage have similar cold tolerances. Again as I mentioned in part one, age of the plant can often play a part in the survival of certain leafy greens.  I have had both survive temperatures in the low twenties although that is pushing it. Most experts recommend that you do not allow your cabbage and or broccoli stay out in temperatures  below 24degrees. 



Next up is Collard Greens. These are without a doubt my favorite winter crop to grow.  For years I grew them in my mini greenhouse using a heat lamp connected to a timer. For whatever reason one night the lamp cut off and the temperature dropped like a rock, down to about 10 and the collards were a little beat up but still survived. 




If established before the cold hits you can grow spinach without even trying. One winter I didn't bother to even cover it. 

Dinosaur kale is one to watch. In my garden it is in the middle of the spectrum.  Once the  temperature drop in to the mid twenties it needs a bit more protection. 

Finally is elephant garlic. I only added this because it is growing in my garden but out of everything I planted this fall onions and garlic are in a category by themselves. Why, because in most zones they laugh at the cold, seriously though if you establish them before the ground freezes they can withstand –30°F. Keep in mind that they take forever to grow. I have been planting them in the fall for a late spring harvest. 

So the bottom line as far as my winter garden goes I don't get supper concerned until the temperatures drop below the mid twenties. 

One more thing to keep in mind. Forecast especially during winter are notoriously inaccurate.  Some may think that may be an unfair statement but when a few degrees can make the difference between a plant surviving or not it is important. The temperature on my weather station is taken from my growing area outside my door where as weather forecast for the area may be taken from miles away.  They are rarely the same.


Thursday night will be the big test for my new food dome. Temps are expected to drop down into single digits. 

Thanks for reading.


The Frugal Gardener's YouTube Page














Comments