Are Gardeners Being Cheated?

 Seed Shortage 


One of my favorite movies is Hackers. In the movie the criminal mastermind found a way to steal a fraction of a cent from each transaction. The total amount ended up being millions of dollars. The movie was made in 1995. Fast forward to 2023. Seed prices have gone through the roof  since the pandemic. In many cases the size of the envelope or seed packets remain the same but the contents have dwindled significantly. 



I don't have a problem buying inexpensive seeds but if they are not available I will pay for ​the (let's call them)​ speciality seeds. The seeds in the above photo cost nearly $8.00. That's not very frugal but for reasons I won't go into right now I made the decision to make the purchase.  When I received the order the quantity of seeds seemed to be misrepresented by a significant amount. So I decided to ask you guys the question I have been asking myself.

HOW MANY SEEDS ARE IN THIS PACKET? 

And yes since the holidays are over and my life is somewhat boring at the moment I will be counting them with a magnifying glass if necessary. 

So back to my point about hackers. If you own a seed company that sells millions of seeds a year and you short each seed pack order by 50 seeds in time that could add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars but more importantly over a lifetime a gardener could be cheated out of hundreds of dollars. 

In the movie the bad guys got caught. Let's see how this plays out. 


Still

The Frugal Gardener 







Comments