Did My Winter Garden Survive ?

 



I am on a mission to get more people to garden year-round.  One of the misconceptions is that your vegetable plants won't survive in the snow. Generally speaking it is not the snow that kills most leafy green plants in the winter it is the cold. I DELIBERTLY left my winter garden unprotected even though I knew it was going to snow. I wanted to illustrate my point. 32 degrees is the freezing point. If the ground or any surface drops below that point snow will accumulate. As I noted in a previous post most winter garden vegetables will survive in temperature well below freezing. 


This photo was taken about 24 hours after the top photo. There was no damage to any of  the plants in my garden. To be clear there was not a huge amount of snow and the following day the temps were in the upper 30's. I do not recommend leaving your garden uncovered if a big snow storm is headed your way. 


Checkout my You Tube Channel 






Comments