Homestead Garden Photo Update

 


A short time ago I came up with a food on the go concept. I originally called it a food wall but decided that snack garden would be more appropriate. It's a simple concept. This garden is special because it's ready to eat food right from the garden. 




What I am growing in the 10 X 15 feet enclosed garden 


Blueberries

Goji Berries

Cherry Tomatoes

Grapes ( three varieties )

Strawberries

Blackberries

Salmonberries 


I don't know why more homesteaders have not gone this route. The garden is between the parking and the house. Everything growing is ready to eat. Right now it is a work i progress. 




After what seems like forever the water tank for our cistern finally arrived. It's BPA free, government approved food grade. The 2,500 gallon take will be for the house but with the amount and size of gardens I plan on having I knew I needed to come up with other ways to store water. 



These water troughs each hold 170 gallons. I purchased what is called a bladder, it's basically a 525 tank used to transport water when and if I need to.







It is good to see something growing in the main garden as well. These green beans and peas were planted about a month ago. It was my first dose of reality when it came to appreciating how much works goes into planting 100 plus seeds at once.  My back was not happy. 




I made a trip to the hardware store. Do they still call them that? Okay, I went to the Home Depot and brought this pressure treated wood. The Matriarch of the Mountain aka the Frugal wife constructed this raised garden bed but not before I struggled getting those long pieces into a small car. 

This still has to be covered in plastic because the wood is pressured treated with chemicals which could leach into the soil. 

Carrots is one of the 5 vegetable I want to grow in abundance the first year. With every passing day the sun bakes this clay soil making it damn near impossible to grow in directly. The solution is to bring in soil so that I can plant at least 100 carrots which is why I decided to go with a 6 X 8 foot frame.   Tomorrow I will cover the frame and plant.

 






The final addition t my garden is my sweet potato mound I started with 25 slips. I lost a few but am going more slips to replace the ones that didn't make it  This mound was made from twigs, small branches, wood chips, soil and compost.  This way I saved on soil.

There is a second raised garden in the works. This garden will be for watermelons and cantaloupe. I have also planted yellow tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and a few ears of corn. 

Hopefully I will shoot and post a video in the very near future. 


Still The Frugal Gardener 

Comments